The Woman's Army Auxiliary Corps (WAAC) was founded in 1942, and its name was changed to the Women's Army Corps (WAC) in 1943.
More than 150,000 American women served in WAC During World War II in non-combat positions.
The official insignia of the U.S. Women's Army Corps was Pallas Athene, the ancient Greek goddess of wisdom and warfare.
Pallas Athene and the traditional "U.S." were worn as lapel insignia. The cap insignia was a hand-drawn eagle, adapted from the design of the Army eagle. The WAAC eagle, later familiarly known as "the Buzzard," was also imprinted on the plastic buttons of the uniform. The uniform buttons were printed in plastic due to the late war restrictions on metal.
In 1978, women were fully integrated into the regular Army, serving in the same units as men, and WAC was abolished.