This vintage WWII Red Cross pin bears the phrase 'first aid instructor' and measures 5/8 inch. The piece is authentic, as it was purchased through the Ohio Valley Military Society.
This piece has been restored as close as possible to its original condition, cleaned gently by hand with steam, polishing cloths, and good old-fashioned elbow grease.
This vintage item is approximately 70 years old and has been loved and cherished by a previous owner, there will be some slight wear or imperfections. If there is any noticeable wear or defect, it will be mentioned here.
The American Red Cross involvement in World War II preceded
the entrance of the United States into the conflict. When hostilitiesbegan in Europe in 1939, the Red Cross became the chief provider of relief supplies for the civilian victims of conflict distributed by the Geneva-based International Red Cross Committee. In February 1941, the Red Cross responded to a request by the U.S. government to begin a Blood Donor Service to produce lifesaving plasma for thearmed forces in anticipation of America’s entry into the war. After the attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941, the Red Cross quickly mobilized a volunteer and staff force to fulfill the mandates of its 1905 congressional charter requiring that the organization “furnish volunteer aid to the sick and wounded of armies in time
of war” and to “act in matters of voluntary relief and in accord with the military and naval authorities as a medium of communication between the people of the United States of America and their Army and Navy.”